Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Moving from Visual Studio c++ 2008 Express to Eclipse C++ and Netbeans c++

Well, its been sometime, i have restarted doing c++, something i did quite a little when i completed my studies, though i wont say i was an expert, there since most of my c++ coding tried to emulate functional programming that i knew from c (that was something i did a lot during my studies), now i am getting to appreciate the OO concepts in C++ , though i love Java, its the best language.

So i downloaded VS 2008 c++ express edition, but except the fact that it is lightweight, i didnt find a huge advantage. I would say eclipse/netabeans are much more powerful and well featured. I have VS .net 2005 in office, that isnt as good too. i mean i had hopes with visual studio, but atleast it doesnt give a person enough kick :)
Yes VS is too light ! Its as light as MS word .. amazing , that really helps ..

I will see how my experience goes with netbeans (its too heavy), and eclipse (getting heavy). on Vista ... c++ here i come !!

1 comment:

Suresh Kumar Shukla said...

Interesting post. I am on similar lookout - searching for a good stack of development tools.

One small correction - programming in C is better categorized as procedural programming. Functional programming remains a bright corner in Java/Ruby languages. Lisp is the language where FP is present in center stage.

Do write about your experience as you go along.